Monday, November 10, 2008

Monday Memories

Monday Memories

I thought it would be fun to do a recurring Monday post, called Monday Memories. I'll share a memory from the past each week. It may be from my childhood, my kids' childhoods, etc.

I searched the Internet for an image, and finally decided to make my own. This board has photos and little mementos of mine.

Maybe you have a similar memory too and you'd care to comment. Maybe you'd enjoy doing a Monday Memory post on your blog. If you do, please let me know. I'd love to see it.

Today's memory: When I was a child, we loved to watch The Carol Burnett Show. I'm sure the very mention of it dates me, but that's okay.

If you are young, you might not even know who Carol Burnett is, and that's okay too. Many of us do remember that show and loved it. Who could forget all of the hilarious skits, including Carol as Scarlett O'Hara or Tim Conway as Mr Tudball and Carol as Mrs. Wiggins?

Back in the day, we didn't have cable. We lived out in the country, and we couldn't get it. We only had 3 or 4 channels. We waited all week for our favorite shows to come on.

The Carol Burnett Show was on Saturday nights. We couldn't wait until it was time. My mom would make a big batch of popcorn in a skillet (no microwaves then) and we would have Coke or KoolAid. Sometimes we would have chips and dip instead. Usually it was plain potato chips and sour cream because that was my mom's favorite. To this day, I still love that too. I think we loved the popcorn and chips almost as much as the show!

My dad was a policeman and often worked the night shift, so it was just the 3 of us kids and Mom. I'm sure by the time the show came on we'd already had our Saturday night baths and we probably had on our pajamas. Our hair was freshly washed and done up in curlers. Must have curly hair for Sunday church!
I cherish the memory of those Saturday nights with my siblings and mom.

6 comments:

OH MY #6 said...

You are just lovely! What a fantastic idea. Love getting to you know you better.

Love your new BLOG attire!

I loved the show: That Girl. Do you remember it? with Marla Thomas.

Lea
xo

Dori's Mommy (Diana) said...

Great memories!

Make sure you stop by my Diana's Ramblings blog on Friday for a regular feature!

Kristin said...

What a great idea!! I'll try and follow along too. Not today..but maybe next Monday.

I remember Carol Burnett but don't know all her shows. My parents didn't watch much TV therefore, neither did I. Probably why I was addicted to TV for years after I got married. :-) Not any more though.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I have two awards for you! Please come by!

M. said...

Oh my gosh- a woman after my own heart!! Carol was one of my favorites! Mrs. Wiggins and Mr. Tudball were hysterical. And those green drapes with the curtain rod on "Scarlet's" shoulders... HA! It was always a treat to stay up and watch that show. The best! I loved the Mary Tyler Moore show, too- and reruns of The Dick Van Dyke show, which I still watch on DVD.

Jean said...

I loved the CArol Burnet Show! My parents would bowl every Monday night and I would laugh so hard watching her show that I was never afraid to be home alone!!

That Girl was also one of my favorites!!
I love your MOnday memories!!
Blessings,
Jean