Monday, March 2, 2009

Monday Musing

Mini scare - I went to my blog just now and there was no content other than the header and sidebar. I refreshed the page a couple of times and still nothing. Finally I signed into blogger and there it was. Whew. I'm not sure what that was about, but it did make my heart skip a beat.

We had a really nice weekend. It was slightly busy, but in a good way.

Alan and I had a date (alone!) on Friday night. So refreshing and enjoyable.
Saturday, I did cleaning and other things. Bryan's girlfriend came for dinner. We cooked out on the grill.
Sunday was church, lunch with the family, and a birthday party for a 2 year old friend. Last night we skipped out on our church small group and stayed home. We watched Kung Fu Panda for the first time. We really enjoyed it.

I'm very excited that Kaitlyn and her fiance', Chris are on their way home today. It's Kate's spring break. I haven't seen them in 2 months, so I'm looking forward to their visit very much.

I suppose I should get some food into the house. Okay, it's not like we don't have food. I'm not that bad of a mom/wife.

I'm just not a huge planner when it comes to meals. When I see people who have an exact plan for their weekly menus, (especially those who post a menu on their blog) I am amazed. How do they do that?

I mean, I do plan what we are going to eat, just not a week in advance. My week would normally look something like this...

Monday- hmm....I wonder what's in the freezer that I could use to make something?
Tuesday- Is there anything in the pantry? Do we have potatoes?
Wednesday- It's a busy night, maybe I won't really cook a full meal.
Thursday- I actually went to the grocery store today. I planned something for dinner!
Friday- Yay! We usually eat out on Friday nights.
Saturday- I'll probably have a plan and cook.
Sunday-Eat lunch out, and snack around for dinner at small group.

Seriously, I do like to cook. I'm just not a huge planner. One time I was at a friend's house helping her with some things around the house. Several of us were over because their family had been through a very rough time. She sat with another friend at the table, planning out a menu and making a grocery list. When they heard that I don't actually plan a weekly menu at my house, they were shocked.

Am I they only one out here who doesn't plan a menu? Wow, I've really gone off on this subject haven't I?

I do get out my cookbook of family favorites fairly often and see what I'll need at the store. Mostly, I sort of wing it. I just get all of the usual things at the grocery store, making sure I have a variety of meats and common ingredients for recipes.

I suppose I'll make it to the grocery store today.

Hooray, it's the beginning of March! Spring can't be far off. Alan was out of town last week, in Mississippi. He sent me this bit of spring while he was away. I thought that was very sweet. A great surprise. Thank you, Alan!


Thank you, Terry and Anita for this Friends Love award. I enjoy and appreciate you ladies so much. Friends are a treasure!


4 comments:

M. said...

My blog has done the same thing to me once, and you're right- it really scares you for a minute!! The flowers are gorgeous. What a sweetheart you have!

Kristin said...

Laura,
Your weekly menu looks like mine! So, NO, you are not alone. I just don't think ahead. I sometimes will for a day or two but that's it. Tonight is a "fend for yourself" night. My kids actually love those nights but then we end up eating junk (chicken nuggets, pizza, etc).

How fun that you had date night! We haven't done that since September or something. Yikes!

Have fun with your daughter and her fiance. My oldest leaves us this August. It will be weird having her just come home for visits.

OH MY #6 said...

I am the same as you when it comes to meal planning. I need help!

Lea
xo

Jean said...

I posted a comment but nothing happened? These blog are going to cause me to age- yikes! can't do that I still have a 2 yr old!
Blessings,
Jean