Monday, January 18, 2010

Recipe Monday - "What a Crock"


Today I am participating in Colleen's newly created Recipe Monday.

I enjoy cooking and always have. Right now, I am enjoying a phase of trying lots of new recipes and feeling creative with my cooking. This is WAY better than being in a cooking slump. Ever had a cooking slump? Not good.

In recent weeks, I have been using my crock pot a lot. This is kind different for me, as I've never really used my crock pot very often. I've been cooking in it several times each week. What a crock!

Our son has been quite concerned about all of this crock pot use. It's been pretty funny really. I've been getting comments like: "The crock pot again, Mom?" or "Mom, I think you need to give that thing a rest." :)

I asked him what bothers him so much about the crock pot cooking. He said it's because most things that come out of there have chicken in them. He's not a huge fan of chicken unless it's fried. I did remind him about the pork chops and soups that I've cooked in there.

Here is my recipe for today and yes, it has chicken. :)


Easy Chicken and Wild Rice Dish

4 chicken breast halves, boneless and skinless

1 and 1/2 cups finely chopped onion

1 can (10 3/4 oz.) Broccoli Cheese soup

2 packages (6 oz. each) Long grain and Wild Rice mix with seasoning packet

8 ounces process cheese spread, such as Velveeta - cubed

2 and 3/4 cups water

Cut raw chicken into bite-size pieces. Spray crock pot with cooking spray. Put chicken in pot, along with 2 and 3/4 cups of water. Add remaining ingredients. Stir. Cover and cook on LOW 4 to 5 hours or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
Note: Start watching carefully after 4 hours cooking time, rice can vary somewhat, especially in a crock pot.
Serves 8.

7 comments:

Renee said...

Sounds good! And how funny, he is absolutly right. For some reason the meat of choice in most crock pot recipes is chicken. We love crock pot roast with veggies :p

Gail said...

Sounds really yummy...I love my slow cooker and I'm always looking for new recipes. Will be trying this one! :)

Jboo said...

That sounds yummy! I love good crock pot recipes! Will definitely be printing that one off! Thanks for sharing!

Janet

Chasing Dreams Photography said...

I love my crock pot!!! I used mine tonight and made beef stew : )
This sounds yummy!!!!! I am always looking for new crock pot recipes so you just keep posting them and I'll keep printing them off : )

Thank you for participating!!!! Can't wait to make this one!!!

Sue said...

Sounds like a wonderful recipe. In the colder times, we use our crock pot at least once a week if not more. I also love the facet hat it heats up our kitchen too...as we don't have a heater in the kitchen at all.

hollym. said...

Yum!!! I'm gonna try this recipe!
Thanks, Laura.

Laura said...

That sounds excellent!
I really hate being in cooking slumps too. I find myself making the same things over and over again.

I love crock pots. I have a couple of really good recipes. A nice Beef stew (perhaps your son would like it!) and a Potato Leek soup.

((Hugs))
Laura