Monday, January 25, 2010

Recipe Monday - Candy!


My mom used to make this candy when I was a kid. She had not made it in many years. I was thinking about this candy not too long ago and I thought it would be neat to have it again. Just like magic, my mom suddenly made some before Thanksgiving and we enjoyed it when we were visiting them.
I made some around New Year's.
My mom said she also made some with watermelon flavored oil after Thanksgiving. I'd like to try some in cherry flavor.
This may seem kind of holiday-ish right now, but I think it could also work for Valentine's Day. No fat in this recipe, and that's good.
Oh, does this make your house smell good when you put that cinnamon oil in!

Rock Hard Candy

Ingredients
  • 1 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 3 3/4 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon oil
  • 1 teaspoon red food coloring
Directions
  1. Cover 2 cookie sheets with aluminum foil. Sprinkle the foil very generously with confectioners' sugar.
  2. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the white sugar, corn syrup, and water. Heat over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves. Stop stirring, and boil until a candy thermometer reads 300 to 310 degrees F (149 to 154 degrees C). Remove from heat.
  3. Stir in the cinnamon oil and food coloring. Pour onto the prepared foil, and allow to cool and harden. Crack into pieces, and store in an airtight container.
  4. Caution, this will be very hot when you pour it onto the cookie sheets and the pans will be hot for quite a while. Watch those kiddies. :)

This will take about 45 minutes to cook, and about an hour to cool.
Makes 2 small, rectangular Gladware containers full.

7 comments:

hollym. said...

I forgot all about this type of candy!! I used to love it when I was a wee one. Wonder what else I've forgotten.

Laura said...

Mmmmm! Looks great! I'll have to give this a try sometime. :D

((Hugs))
Laura

hollym. said...

I forgot all about this type of candy!! I used to love it when I was a wee one. Wonder what else I've forgotten.

hollym. said...

oops! I don't know how it posted twice..sorry bout that!

Chasing Dreams Photography said...

Oh my gosh this is a fabulous recipe!!! I would love to try this : ) I love hard candy...mmnnnnnnnn thank you so much for sharing this!!!

Kristy said...

The only candy that I will eat is cinnamon candy.....love love love it!!! I am gonna try and make this , it sounds so good!!

Thank you for sharing.

Love and blessings, Kristy

Goosegirl said...

Oh this sounds soooooo yummy!! Sadly, I can not make it as Ahnalin is allergic to both corn syrup and red dye. sob.......