Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Works For Me Wednesday - Delicious Soup!

This is my first Works For Me Wednesday post. I'm sharing a soup recipe. It's actually a chicken and wild rice soup recipe, but it's also great for using leftover turkey after Thanksgiving. I made this soup last night with turkey and we enjoyed it so much.

Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

1 cup chopped onion
2 cups chopped carrots
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup flour
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups cooked chicken or turkey, chopped
2 cups evaporated milk
2 cups cooked wild rice
1 teaspoon parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper

In a large soup pot - saute the veggies in butter until the onion is transparent. Reduce heat. Blend in flour and cook until bubbly.
Gradually add the chicken broth, stirring constantly.
Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat. Add rice, milk, chicken, parsley, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Simmer for 20 minutes.

Makes 10 cups. You can reduce fat by using a lowfat or skim evaporated milk and lowfat margarine. I've made it this way and it's equally delicious. Enjoy!

A Jadyn Funny: This is totally unrelated to the soup of course, but I thought I'd share it. It is related to the Thanksgiving turkey. We were in the kitchen near the oven and my oldest daughter, Lauryn, asked Jadyn what she thought about the turkey in the oven. Jadyn said, "He says it's hurting!" We had a good laugh about that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks,I can't wait to try your recipe. We also have a beautiful daughter adopted from China!

Kristin said...

I need to try this recipe to use up our turkey!! I do not enjoy cooking but am trying to branch out beyond the typical meals we tend to have. It's hard when I've been at work all day though.

I look forward to your next recipe!

OH MY #6 said...

Hey friend,

You won a little something in my draw.

E-mail me your address and I will get it in the mail!

Lea

lea.gunby@sympatico.ca