Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Why Didn't I Think Of That?

I noticed today that one of my Facebook friends had a good idea. Her status said she was wishing there were some stinkin' elves around.

That's it! That's the answer to my current issues. I need to hire an elf! Why didn't I think of that?
I have so many things I have to do/finish up in the next few days. I know I'm not alone here. You all have lots of things you've got to get done too.
My list is long, but I am getting it done, crossing a few things off each day. I've actually made a list, and checked it twice and then again, and again. I keep hoping a few things might just disappear. No such luck.
Good thing I don't really have time to dwell on it all. Wait, isn't that what I'm doing now? :) If I spent too much time doing that I just might go into a panic. I just have to focus and keep pushing through. Get things done.

A blogger friend of mine recently spoke about her annual Christmas conniption. I thought that was pretty funny. I've had those before. If you're not familiar with what a Christmas conniption is, maybe you've heard the term, "freak out." I'd say the Christmas conniption is kind of a mini freak out. I am happy to say that I've not had a conniption this year....yet. I'm trying to keep it suppressed. Don't let the beast out! It's not pretty.

So do any of you know where I can hire an elf?

Elf duties:

1. He'll need to know how to run errands, and not mind the bitter MN weather.

2. He'll need to know how to outfit a 4 year old in coat, hat, and mittens and do it over and over all day.

3. He'll need to know how to get her in and out of her car seat. - all 3 buckles, then remind her not to put wet snowy shoes on the back of Mom's seat or on her tights.

4. He'll need to remind the 4 year old over and over that, "We don't walk in the snow, honey. We don't have our boots on."

5. He'll need to know how to check the list again and again.

6. He'll need to know how to shop for gifts, lots and lots of gifts!

7. He'll need to take know how to drop off prescriptions and then actually "remember to pick them up."

8. He'll need to shop for my new glasses. I wonder if he'll know what looks good on me?

9. I wonder if he can put the highlights in my hair that I need? That would be a bonus!

10. Heck, if he could do babysitting, that would be the greatest thing.

11. I wonder if he knows how to run a snowblower and use a snow shovel. My husband and son would be especially thrilled.

12. Gift wrapping! Surely all elves know how to wrap gifts.

13. Laundry, have I mentioned laundry?

Well, we all know the list would probably go on and on.
I really think the best elf for the job would probably be Buddy the Elf.

Buddy would be a blast, I just know it. He'd be tons of fun and he could even finish the Christmas decorating that I never got done. He could entertain my 4 year old and keep her happy all day with lots of candy. I bet he could make dinner. It might be spaghetti covered in syrup. Heck, who'd really mind it at this point? Even better still....he knows Santa!!
Well, I'm off to look for that elf!

11 comments:

Anita said...

What a GREAT idea!!! Hmmm...maybe I oughta think about renting one out like Buddy too..especially given the fact that I'm gonna be laid up for a bit it sounds like. Let's see...I could have him do my laundry too and cleaning and, and and.... :) LOL!! I think I'll ask Santa for an elf of my very own this Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Great post! Great idea! When you find an agency with elves, let me know! I could use three!

OH MY #6 said...

I love this post! I had a Christmas conniption on Friday before my BIG Christmas. It wasn't pretty!

Lea
xo

Nancy said...

Hey Laura, they actually make an adhesive plastic that you put on the back of your car seats to keep the dirty boots and shoes from making a mess. Home Depot, used for protecting you carpets while moving. Cut it to fit. Does not come with Elf though. Elf Doug installed mine. Pretty nifty, and conniptionless (is that a word?).

Terry said...

OK, I think I had my Christmas conniption last night! and I have a christmas period on the horizon too so who knows whats comin'! (sorry guys for getting so personal) Anyway, the elf idea is golden, do you think Santa would mind leaving one here...of course I'll need him/her BEFORE next week. Oh darn, I did have that conniption so I'm thinkin' i'm on the naughty list now, darn!

Gail said...

Love this post Laura, it really made me smile. :) I had a Christmas conniption 2 days ago when I realized how much wrapping I had left and I feel another one coming on the horizon...the closer we get to the BIG day. I need an elf too!

Eileen said...

I would very much appreciate an elf. I'm sure he'd be able to find me a Webkinz mouse--something that appears to be non-existent in the Seattle area.

a Tonggu Momma said...

This one made me smile... VERY clever. I need an elf, too. Although - with my luck - I'd probably get stuck with the whiny Hermey (you know - the one that wanted to be the dentist).

Anonymous said...

You know, you should take this elf idea and maybe do something with it. Put some feelers out there and see if someone might be interested in funding a startup. Seriously - people would PAY for this; at the last to have someone do their shopping for them. Great post.

Kristin said...

I wanted to tell you...thank you so much for your encouraging and thoughtful comments on my blog, they mean a lot.

Also, you have a truly beautiful and blessed family.. take care!!

Kristin said...

Absolutely love this post!! If you can find an elf, please send him my way because my teens are falling down on the job.

I, too, am playing catch-up on blog reading. Now that school is officially over for two weeks, I hope to get back on track!!!